Carbon has finally released the Android 4.4.2 KitKat Nightly Build for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3. You can now update your GS3 to the latest Android OS which is KitKat and I know many of you are still waiting for the official release but still there are no clues when that is going to be released publicly. However if you have already got root access and you’ve installed the latest version of CWM/TWRP Recovery then use this step by step tutorial to update your phone using Carbon Nightly ROM.
- Update tutorial is specifically for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3, therefore do not apply it on another variant of GS3.
- You’ll require Root access and ClockworkMod or TWRP Custom Recovery to Flash Android 4.4.2 KitKat Custom ROM.
- Backup everything stored on your device as during the process you’ll have to factory format your phone.
- Before you start updating your phone it is highly recommended that you check your battery status.
- This is not the official firmware released by Samsung, so proceed at your own risk. Also this is nightly build and some features might not work.
How to Update AT&T Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat Using Carbon Nightly
1. First of all without unzipping transfer the downloaded files to your phone.
2. Reboot your phone into Custom Recovery Mode. Here is how to boot AT&T GS3 into Recovery Mode:
– Switch-off your Galaxy S3.
– Press and Hold the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons simultaneously and keep holding it till you see the Recovery Options on your screen.
3. It is highly recommended that you first take Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that in case you do not like this ROM or failed to flash it successfully, then Nandroid Backup will help you to easily Restore your device. A Complete Guide to Nandroid Backup
4. Hopefull you’ve taken Nandroid Backup! Next you need to Factory Reset your device and clear the system cache in order to safely and successfully flash the ROM.
For CWM Recovery – ‘Wipe data/Factory Reset‘.
For TWRP Recovery – Just tap the ‘Wipe‘ button, further Factory Reset.
5. Finally your device is now in state and ready to be flash with Carbon Custom ROM.
For CWM Recovery – Select the ‘install zip from SD card‘ and select the Carbon Custom ROM zip file to flash it.
For TWRP Recovery – Tap the ‘Install‘ option and select the Custom ROM file to flash.
6. You’ve now successfully flushed the Android 4.4.2 Custom ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3 but it is not the end, you also need to flash the GApps files which will ultimately install default Android Google services like Google Play Store etc.
7. When both files are successfully flushed head back to main recovery menu and Reboot your phone by choosing the option ‘Reboot’ or ‘Reboot System Now’.
8. That’s it folks!! You’ve have successfully updated AT&T Galaxy S3 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat Using Carbon Nightly Custom ROM.
Note that for the first time, your device can take up to 5 minutes in order to optimize and initializes Apps.
It was a simple method on how to install Custom ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3 using Custom Recovery. Hopefully you’ve understood each step, however if you’re confused or having issues during the installation, feel free to leave a comment and we’ll try our best to respond as quickly as possible to fix your problem. If find it useful, then leave a feedback and share it with your friends.