Today, I will guide you, using the step by step instructions, How to Manually Update Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using the CyanogenMod 10.1 Firmware. The tutorial is easy, however you’ll need a rooted Galaxy Gio S5660 with ClockworkMod or TWRP Recovery installed.
CyanogenMod 10.1 is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware and probably will improve your device performance. If you’ve made your mind to Update your Galaxy Gio, then follow the instructions below to Update your device to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware.
Before we move on further, there are certain guidelines and prerequisites you should act upon in order to successfully update your device.
Preparing Your Device
- This Firmware update guide is only for Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660, So therefore do not try this on another device, it may brick your device.
- Make sure you’ve already Rooted your Galaxy Gio S5660 and have installed Custom Recovery.
- It is recommended to Backup your device.
- Also create Nandroid Backup using ClockworkMod or TWRP Recovery.
- Enable USB Debugging on Galaxy Gio S5660 by going to Settings > Application > Development > USB debugging mode.
- Also make sure you’ve installed Samsung USB Drivers on your PC. If not then you can download it from our download section.
- Before Updating your device, make sure you’ve enough battery charged on your device, at least 60% is recommended.
- Last but not the least, You’re doing this at your own risk, If you really don’t know, what you’re doing to your device, then it is recommended not to play with your device.
- Click Here to Download Samsung USB Drivers. Note that, if you already installed or have Samsung Kies then there is no need to download this file.
- Click Here to Download CyanogenMod 10.1 for Galaxy Gio S5660.
- Click Here to Download GApps for Galaxy Gio S5660.
How to Manually Update Galaxy Gio (S5660) to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Using CyanogenMod 10.1 Firmware
1. First of all connect your Galaxy Gio to PC and without extract the zip files move to it the root storage of your device.
2. Once you move the CyanogenMod 10.1 and GApps files to your device, disconnect your device from the PC.
3. Now Reboot your Galaxy Gio into Recovery Mode, Here is how to do it;
- First Switch-Off your device.
- Now Press and Hold the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons at the same time, till you see the recovery menu on your screen.
4. As I have told you earlier, you should create a Nandroid Backup using the Recovery, so that if for some reasons you’re unable to flash the Firmware successfully or you do not like the ROM, then using the Nandroid Backup you’ll be able to restore back to your current ROM and settings. Don’t Know, How to Create Nandroid Backup.
5. In the recovery mode, you’ll be using your Volume Up/Down keys to navigate through the different options and Power button to select the desired option.
6. Now it is an important step, you must to do to prepare your device for the Update. Select Wipe data/Factory Reset then Wipe Cache Partition then select Advanced->Wipe Dalvik Cache.
7. Finally from the main Recovery menu, select the ‘Install Zip from SD Card’ then choose the zip file from the SD Card and search the CyanogenMod 10.1 zip file package and select it.
8. It will take some time to flash the zip package file on your device, so have patience, it depends on your device. Using the same step 7, install the GApps file on your device.
9. After everything is completed, Wipe cache as you did in the Step 6.
10. Finally using the recovery options you can now reboot your device.
That’s it folks, Hopefully you’ve learned, How to successfully Update Galaxy Gio (S5660) to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Firmware . Let us know in the comment section, how everything went for you.
Wow, all worked fine. But you can backup the original ROM Version, by installing BusyBox and then Online Nandroid Backup, but only if the Clockworkmode does not work. All went ok for me!!! Thanks