OnePlus One is another great revolutionary Android smartphone with a great price tag as compare to other flagship devices like the HTC One M8, iPhone 5S and the Samsung Galaxy S5. OnePlus One is great package phone with 5.5 Inch screen display, sleek design and other specs such as Android 4.4.2 KitKat, Camera, Internal storage, RAM and processor are just awesome at such a great price.
Recently Teamwin officially released the TWRP recovery which makes it easy to root your OnePlus One. So let’s move on and learn how to root One Plus One using the TWRP recovery. First using the adb commands, we are going to flash the twrp and then we’ll twrp to flash the SuperSU, which ultimately grants root permissions to your system.
- OnePlus One Android phone with USB cable.
- Android adb drivers – download here
- TWRP recovery – download from here
- SuperSU-update.zip – Get it here
- Go to Settings > Developers Options and enable USB debugging.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions to safely root your phone.
Unlock the Bootloader on OnePlus One:
It is highly recommended that before unlocking the bootloader you need to backup all of your important and apps as unlocking your device wipes everything!!
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. You should see the fastboot text on your phone screen.
- Hopefully you’ve successfully installed adb drivers.
- Now open the command prompt window.
- Type the following to Unlock OnePlus One bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
- Now when the above command is processed, enter the following to reboot your phone:
Install TWRP Recovery for OnePlus One
- First download the required packages to your PC given in the prerequisites section.
- Connect your phone to PC and copy SuperSU zip file.
- Extract the android.rar file.
- For your ease rename the openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-bacon.img to twrp.img.
- Copy the twrp.img file to the android folder you’ve just extracted earlier.
- Connect your phone to PC via the USB cable.
- Open the Android folder. Right click on the blank space and select the option open command window here:
- In the command window type the following command to boot your phone into bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now your phone reboots into bootloader mode, type this command to flash the twrp recovery:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- When TWRP is installed, type this command to reboot your phone:
- Now to boot your phone into TWRP recovery mode, type this command:
adb reboot recovery
- From the TWRP recovery options, tap on INSTALL.
- Browse the storage directory where you’ve earlier placed the SuperSU zip file.
- Swipe to confirm and flash the SuperSU app.
- When completed, from the main menu select the option REBOOT to reboot your phone.
- Check that SuperSU has been installed. To further verify root access, install the Root Checker from Google Play Store.
Cheers!! Your OnePlus One has successfully been rooted and additionally you’ve also installed TWRP recovery which later can help you to further modify and improve the performance of your phone by installing Custom ROM or deleting the bloatware to free up extra storage on your phone. There are certainly more things you can do on a rooted Android phone, so explore many things.
If you found this useful and helpful, feel free to leave a feedback and share it with your friends. If in any case you still need further support and assistance feel free to contact. For more great stuff and guides keep visiting.