Carbon has released the Android 4.4.2 KitKat Nightly builds for the Google Nexus 5. As this phone was released with Android KitKat, so many of you may want to remain on stock, However if you’ve already got root access, then I would recommend you to give it a try and feel the difference. Custom ROMs are customized and have built-in tweaks which further improves and optimizes the over all performance of your device. In this section, I will guide you using the step by step instructions on how to flash Android 4.4.2 KitKat Carbon Nightly Custom ROM on your Google Nexus 5.
Guidelines and Requirements:-
- Use this Custom ROM installation guide for only Google Nexus 5 “hammerhead”.
- You’ll need to have root access and CWM/TWRP Custom Recovery must be installed in order to flash android 4.4.2 custom rom. How to Root Nexus 5?
- It is highly recommended that you perform Nandroid backup of your existing ROM, as it will create a restore point for your device, so that in any case you later want to switch back to your existing ROM and settings, this will help you to restore easily. You may read here – A detailed guide on how to take and restore Nandroid Backup?
- Enable USB debugging from Developers Options which is located in the Settings.
- Before you proceed to install custom rom it is recommended that you first check your battery status.
- Last but not the least proceed at your own risk.
How to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat Carbon Nightly Custom ROM on Google Nexus 5?
1. After you’ve downloaded the required files, Without extracting ,transfer it to your phone internal/external storage.
2. Now you need to Reboot your phone into Recovery Mode. Let’s learn here, how to do it:
– First of all turn-off your Nexus 5.
– Now Press and Hold the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons at the same time till you see the Recovery Options on your screen.
3. As I have told you the importance of Nandroid Backup so hopefully you’ve already taken, if not take it now.
4. Initially you need to Factory Reset your device and clear the cache so that you’re able to flash it successfully without any issues.
For CWM Recovery – ‘Wipe data/Factory Reset‘.
For TWRP Recovery – Just tap the ‘Wipe‘ button, further Factory Reset.
5. Now finally it is the time flash the Custom ROMs.
For CWM Recovery – Select the ‘install zip from SD card‘ and select the Carbon Custom ROM zip file to flash it.
For TWRP Recovery – Tap the ‘Install‘ option and select the Custom ROM file to flash.
6. After flashing the custom rom, Use the same step to flash the GApps files.
7. After you’ve successfully flashed both files, using the Recovery Options now Reboot your phone.
That’s it folks, these were the steps in order to install Carbon KitKat ROM on Google Nexus 5. After you Reboot your device, for the first time, it will probably take some time to normally boot your device. So have patience!!
At the end, By now you should have learned, How to Install Carbon KitKat Custom ROM on Nexus 5. If you’re still having issues during the installation or confused at any step, feel free to ask in the comment section for further support. Let us also know, how everything went up for you and share it with your friends. Enjoy!
I just installed carbon rom… the rom is amazing but i cant see super user or busybox installer in my apps menu….. does that mean that my nexus 5 isnt rooted or what??
This usually happens and most of the time Custom ROM do comes pre-rooted, however you can install the SuperSU from Google Play Store to grant root permissions.