CyanogenMod has released KitKat Nightly Build for number of Android phones and Tablets, So all of those users who still haven’t got the official update can use these Nightly Build to at least taste the latest Android OS on their low end smartphones. Luckily Samsung Galaxy Nexus S has officially received the Nightly release of CM11, which is purely based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Follow the step by step complete tutorial to safely and successfully flash CM11 on your phone.
Guidelines and Requirements:
- This Custom ROM Update tutorial is only applicable for Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250. Therefore do not apply it on another variant, it may brick your device.
- Make sure you’ve already got Root Access and Custom Recovery is installed, which will be used to flash CM11. Note that both recovery (ClockworkMod or TWRP) are compatible but make sure you’re running the latest version.
- Backup your content stored on the internal storage, as this process will wipe and erase all data.
- Go to Settings> Development and Enable USB Debugging.
- It is advised that check your battery status before you proceed for the installation process.
- Last but not the least, proceed at your own risk. Do not skip any step as stated in the tutorial.
- Click Here to Download CM11 Nightly Build for Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250.
- Download GApps for CyanogenMod 11.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat Using CM11 Nightly Build
Step 1. Connect your Google Nexus S to PC using the USB Data Cable and transfer the CyanogenMod Nightly Build and GApps zip packages to your Micro SD Card.
Step 2. Now Reboot your phone into Recovery Mode by Holding and Pressing the ‘Volume Up+Home+Power‘ buttons at the same time, till you see the Recovery Options on your screen.
Step 3. The first thing you should do using the Recovery options on your Nexus S is to take Nandroid Backup of your current ROM. Nandroid Backup will help you to restore back to your current ROM, if in case you’re unable to flash it or don’t like the custom ROM.
For CWM Recovery – Select the Backup and Restore Option and then Backup to your internal or external storage.
For TWRP Recovery – Tap the Backup option and then Select the system partition files you want to Backup.
Step 4. In order to prepare your Google Nexus S for Custom ROM installation you need to first Wipe Cache and Factory Reset your device.
For CWM Recovery – Select Wipe data/Factory Reset then Wipe Cache Partition then select Advanced->Wipe Dalvik Cache.
For TWRP Recovery – Tap the WIPE option, then Factory Reset and swipe to confirm.
Step 5. Finally you’re now ready to Flash CyanogenMod 11 Custom ROM on your Nexus S.
For CWM Recovery – Select Install Zip from SD Card and navigate to Storage Directory and select CM11 Custom ROM zip package.
For TWRP Recovery – Tap the Install option and select the CyanogenMod 11 Custom ROM zip package.
Step 6. Hopefully by now you should’ve successfully flushed CM11 on your Nexus S, there is still one file remaining to be flashed, which is GApps (Google Apps), Use the same method as you did in Step 5, flash the GApps package.
Step 7. Finally once you’ve completed all the steps, You can use the Recovery Options to Reboot your Google Nexus S. Remember for the first your device may take longer to boot normally, it can take up to 5 mins, so have patience and it is normal.
Step 8. Congrats! You’ve successfully Updated your Google Nexus to Android 4.4.2 KitKat Using CM11 Nightly Build.
That was all folks, you needed to know and learn in order to safely and successfully install Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM on your phone. Hopefully things went successfully without experiencing any errors, do let us know and share your experience and feel free to contact us via the comment below, if you do need further support. Find it useful? Well, Do not forget to give us a like or share using the buttons below.