Last updated on May 8th, 2017
In this section, you’ll find a detailed step-by-step guide on how to update your Samsung Galaxy S2 to the available latest Android Firmware available for your particular variant of Galaxy S2.
First of all, I want to make it clear that Samsung has officially stopped the updates for Galaxy S II and therefore there are no latest official Android OS firmware updates for it. But the good news is that there are several Custom ROMs available that you use to update your Galaxy s2 to the latest Android OS available out there for many Android Smartphones. Down below I have discussed many ways that you can use to update your device.
Update Galaxy S2 Using Kies:
Samsung Kies is the best and reliable tool to update your Galaxy S2 but as I earlier, Samsung now does not releases new updates for it, However it sometimes possible that you’ve installed the older version of OS on your device, so this tool will be useful to update your phone. Here is how you can use Samsung Kies to Update your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- First of all head over to the Samsung official website and download Kies.
- Install Kies on your PC.
- Now Connect your Galaxy S II to PC via the USB Cable.
- Open Kies on your PC and select your device.
- You’ll now see the firmware information about your device, if there an update available, You’ll find this “New Firmware is Available.”
- Select the option, “Firmware upgrade” and accept the terms and conditions and carefully read the instructions.
Update Galaxy S2 Using Odin:
Odin is another tool you can use to update galaxy s2, use this tool when you don’t have any other chance, like If Kies has issues connecting with your device or you failed to update. Follow the procedure here:
- You’ll first need to download the firmware for your device. Samsung-Updates is the best online website you can use to download firmware for Samsung devices.
- Once you download the firmware, also download the latest version of Odin.
- Extract the Firmware and Odin files to a new folder on your desktop.
- Run Odin application and Connect your phone to PC via the USB cable.
- In Odin, Only check the ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F. Reset Time’ options and rest leave the default settings.
- Click on the PDA button and select the tar.md5 firmware update file and hit the ‘Start’ button to flash new update on your device.
That’s it folks, it was another simple tutorial to update your phone using Odin. Check out another method you can use to update your Galaxy S2.
Using Custom ROM:
Custom ROMs are unofficial customized and optimized Android OS available for many Android Smartphones. The best thing about Custom ROMs is that it lets you to Install the latest version of Android OS, just like Android 4.4.2 KitKat, Yes you can update your Galaxy S2 to Android KitKat but to do that first you’ll have to root your phone and flash custom recovery like ClockworkMod or TWRP.
We have posted a number of Custom ROMs tutorial for Samsung Galaxy S2 that you can use to update it to Android 4.4 KitKat.
- How to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S2 Using Stable CyanogenMod to Android 4.3
- How to Update T-Mobile Galaxy S2 to Android 4.4 KitKat Using ParanoidAndroid
- How to Update Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android to Android 4.4 KitKat Using OmniROM
- How to Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.3 Using SlimBean Custom ROM
- How to Update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.3 Using Carbon Custom ROM
That’s it, above were the three methods you can use to install the latest Android OS on your Samsung Galaxy S2. Hopefully you found it useful. Feel free to ask if you’re confused and have queries.