Last updated on June 21st, 2014
Google Nexus 4 is one of the lucky Android phone who in the early days got Android 4.4 KitKat Update, We also posted to update your Nexus 4 using the Factory images, if for some reasons you were unable to update via the OTA. Rooting on Android phone does gives you so many options to install apps, which normally you can not on stock, Flash Custom Recoveries and Custom ROMs are a few advantages of Rooting. If you now running the Android 4.4 KitKat on your Nexus 4, definitely you’ll be looking for safe and easy way to Root your phone. Follow the step by step Root Tutorial.
1. The Rooting guide is only applicable on Nexus 4 Running the Android 4.4 KitKat Factory image.
2. Also Make sure that you have already unlocked the bootloader. If not then Click Here to Unlock Bootloader first.
3. Most importantly you need to Setup Android ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
You May Also Read – How to Setup Android ADB and Fastboot on Windows?
4. Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings> Developers Options.
5. Check that you’ve got good enough charge on your phone before proceeding for the Root Process.
6. Last but not the least, Proceed at your own risk and Rooting will definitely voids warranty.
1. Click Here to Download TWRP Recovery image for Google Nexus 4.
2. Click Here to Download Root (SuperSU) zip package from Chainfire website.
How to Root Nexus 4 Running on Android 4.4 KitKat KRT16O Firmware
1. First of all make sure that you’ve already Setup the Android ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC, If you don’t know, how to setup, a link is given in the guidelines.
2. With USB Debugging Enabled, Connect your Nexus 4 to PC via the USB Cable.
3. Open the command prompt window by going to Start>Run and Type ‘cmd’ and click on ok.
4. At this point, you need to enter your phone into Bootloader Mode. We’ll do it by typing the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
5. Once your device is in Bootloader Mode, You can install the TWRP Recovery by entering the following command:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-mako.img
6. After this just wait for it, when it is completely flushed, you’ll be notified.
As TWRP Recovery is installed, You’ve now two methods to Root your Nexus 4, Either by entering the commands or just transfer the SuperSU zip package to your sd card and Reboot your phone into Custom Recovery and Flash it from there. As everything is setup already, So I would prefer you to root it using the adb commands.
7. In the command prompt window type the command to enter your phone to custom recovery mode:
adb reboot recovery
8. On your phone, Select the ADB Sideload, and in the command window type the following to flash the SuperSU zip file:
adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.69.zip
9. Finally wait for the process to finish.
10. Now Reboot your phone.
That’s it folks, By now you should have successfully got Root Access on your Nexus 4. Last thing you need to do is open Google Play Store on your phone and update the SuperSU and you can also check and verify root access by installing the Root Checker App.