Last updated on June 3rd, 2014
Unlocking Bootloader on Google Nexus devices is a lot easier than you might be thinking!!
So you’ve got your Google Nexus 5? Probably you would be thinking to modify and make changes to your Stock Android OS. Nexus 5 is loaded with Android 4.4 KitKat, which is the latest standard of Android OS. Android 4.4 KitKat has got so many improved features, in terms of Performance, Battery, Camera and UI. However if you’re an advance Android user, then probably you’ll have to unlock its bootloader first, then you’ll be able to Root, Flash Custom Recoveries, ROMs, Kernels and so on. If you’ve made up your mind, then follow the below step by step procedure, to safely and easily unlock bootloader on your Nexus 5. Before proceeding, I should remind you that, most of the times, unlocking the bootloader voids device warranty and I am not sure about Google, because they have stated, May Void Warranty.
Guidelines and Requirements:-
1. Google says, Unlocking Bootloader may void warranty.
2. I am not sure about the warranty but it will definitely wipe data on your phone, so be careful to Backup your phone data before you proceed to unlock it.
3. Make sure you Enable the USB Debugging on Nexus 5.
4. An important point, also make sure to Install Android SDK and Configure ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC.
5. Unlocking your Nexus 5 will definitely makes it unsecure, So therefore proceed at your own risk.
Unlock Bootloader on LG Nexus 5
1. First of make sure you’ve successfully setup the Android ADB and Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
2. Then, Connect your Nexus 5 to PC via the USB Cable.
3. Next, open the command prompt on your PC and type the following adb commands:
fastboot oem unlock
4. Now you should a warning message on your phone screen, just read the warning alert and select your desired option.
That’s it folks, How really it was, unlocking the bootloader on a Nexus phone. Hopefully you’ve got yours unlocked. So what’s next? You can find the rooting instructions for Nexus 5. We’ve got root tutorials and Custom Recovery installation to prepare your phone for further highly customized and optimized custom ROMs. For More Updates and Tutorials stay tuned to Android Central.