In the Recent month, Sprint Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720) received Android 4.3 VPUEMJA Firmware Update. Hopefully many of you, would have received the update and your Sprint Galaxy S4 should now be running on Android 4.3 VPUEMJA firmware. You should know that by installing the official firmware you’ll loose root access and there are many who still want to Root Sprint Galaxy S4, so that they have more power and authority on their device to optimize its performance and customize their OS through Custom ROMs.
If you’ve made up your mind to get root access on your Galaxy S4, then follow the step by step instructions to safely and successfully Root and install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Galaxy S4 SPH-L720.
Guidelines and Requirements:
1. Warning!! Rooting will void your phone warranty, so be sure you’re agree and happy with it.
2. Rooting does not wipe or erases data on your phone memory but then it is highly recommended to Backup your phone data.
3. Also Enable USB Debugging on your Sprint GS4:
– Settings->Developers Options->USB Debugging.
– If you’re unable to find Developers options within the Settings tab, then go to About Phone, and tap the Build Number for about 7 times and it should be enabled now.
4. Be sure you’ve got enough battery charge on your phone, so that your does not shutdown during the root process.
5. Proceed at your own risk.
1. Click Here to Download CF-Root Package for Sprint Galaxy S4.
2. Click Here to Download Odin.
3. Click Here to Download ClockworkMod Recovery image for Sprint Galaxy S4.
4. Click Here to Download Samsung USB Drivers. ( Leave this file, if you’ve already installed the Kies or USB Drivers).
How to Root Sprint Galaxy S4 Running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean VPUEMJA Firmware Using CF-Root
1. At first make sure you’ve already installed the USB Drivers on your PC. Then extract the CF-Root and Odin package on your desktop.
2. Now Run Odin and Reboot your phone into Download Mode:
– Turn Off your phone.
– Press and Hold the Volume Down+Home+Power buttons at the same time, till you see a warning message on your screen.
-After then just hit the Volume Up button and you’re done.
3. Next, While in download mode, Connect your Sprint GS4 to PC via the USB Cable, and make sure Odin has recognized your GS4, the ID:COM port will either turn blue or yellow and you’ll also notice the Added!! in the message section of Odin. Otherwise reinstall the USB drivers.
4. In the Odin Menu, Make Sure that the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time, is checked and rest leave the default settings.
5. Now hit the PDA button and select the tar.md5 file from the CF-Auto Root zip package.
6. Finally wait for Odin to install the Root exploit on your Sprint GS4, once it gets completed, Odin will notify you via the PASS!! Message and during this your phone will automatically reboots.
7. Now check that SuperSU App, which should be installed on your phone, If in any case it is not installed, then head over to Google Play Store and search for ‘SuperSU’, install it from there.
You also need to verify root access on your phone, on the Play Store, search for ‘Root Checker’, and install it to verify Root Access on Sprint Galaxy S4.
That’s it folks, You’ve just got Root access on your GS4, Now follow the below instructions, to install the Custom Recovery, here in this case, we are going to install the ClockworkMod Recovery.
How to Install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on Sprint Galaxy S4
1. Now just like before, as you did above, Run the Odin application.
2. Reboot your Galaxy S4 into Download Mode.
3. Hit the PDA button and browse the ‘sph-l720-recovery.tar.md5‘ and hit the START button.
4. Finally just wait for Odin to completely flash the ClockworkMod Recovery. When it gets completed, You should see a PASS!! Message on Odin screen and your phone will Reboots.
That is how you can Root and Install the CWM Recovery on Sprint Galaxy S4. Hopefully on your side everything went up smooth and perfect. If in any case, you’re still confused at any step or have queries, do let us know in the comment section. For more Tutorials and Updates, Do not forget to visit us back.